Monday, November 8, 2010

Blog 4 Readicide 99-109

In this chapter in the book Gallagher talks about how to analyze text and introduces the "big chunk/little chunk" approach.  He talks about how we can over analyze by segmenting the book into to small of portions and therefore disrupting the flow of the students.  Gallagher talks about allowing the students to read a large chunk and then going back over it with the students to analyze it more in depth.  As I have stated before, I am not an avid reader nor an English teacher but this strategy seems to make sense to me.  We need to be able to see the big picture before we can go back and analyze something smaller.  Gallagher also talks about enabling the students to feel okay about struggling through text and the importance to show the students how me the teacher gets through a difficult text.  I think this is important because students from the classrooms I have been in are quick to give up and feel defeated.  Gallagher also talks about the 50/50 approach in which only 50% of the reading is difficult text and the other half is enjoyable reading that does not require multiple drafts and analyzation.  I wish this was implemented when I was in school.  I remember virtually no "fun reading" and because of this I began avoiding books all together.  We need to keep it fun if we want the students to get into reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment